08 Nov

Gimme a U! Gimme a T! Gimme an I!

Posted by Jenna, Under Married Life, Personal

This weekend I am suffering through my first urinary tract infection of married life. If you are married (or I guess sexually active, but in my world the two go hand in hand), you know exactly what I am talking about (it isn’t often that you find someone who has never had one), if you aren’t married you will find out eventually. I also should mention I still don’t have insurance (parents insurance expired on Nov. 1, and we haven’t put me on TH’s yet)

I’ve been swimming in unsweetened cranberry juice. I was thinking about flickering a photo to dress this post up, but then I took this one and liked it because it makes the cup I am drinking out of look huge (although I don’t like the way it makes my nose look all witchy). Every time I fill my glass up for another round of cranberry juice I feel like I will never make it through to the end.

cranberry juice

I think it helps with the burning though. The AZO that turns the toilet bowl bright orange definitely helps as well. I thought about showing you a picture of the bright orange toilet bowl, but then I thought better of it.

1. That sucks- so sorry! Im almost finish with PA school and did my OB/GYN rotation at a birthing center where they did alot of hoemeopathic cures. Drink lots of water with lemon in it, the acidity will cure it. You can also buy cranberry pills from a health food store and it works just as good as the juice (without the calories). And for prevention, urinate after sex. Hope this helps!

2. Uh-oh! I’ve never had a UTI, but I have friends who seem to get them all the time. My husband, the doctor, continually tells every woman he meets that they should always pee after sex, and always wipe from front to back. But I can’t offer up any personal first-hand advice, having never had one myself. They sound rather… unpleasant. If it starts to feel worse, however, do seek medical attention, even if you aren’t on insurance. Sometimes, antibiotics are necessary, and the further up the urinary tract the infection travels before it is treated, the greater the potential for permanent damage, so if you haven’t seen a doctor and are trying to cure it on your own, and it doesn’t seem to be helping, don’t hold off for too long.

3. I’ve never had one since I’ve been married but I have also heard you should always urinate after sex as well. I know how bad they hurt and Jenna if it isn’t getting better you really should go to the doc. How can you stand it? Ouch!

4. Well, I do get these, but not for the same reason! I have a tear in my bladder that can’t be surgically fixed and bacteria builds up in the tear and I get recurrent bladder and kidney infections. Thankfully I haven’t been sick in almost a year (YAY!!) but I know the pain you are going through! Someone already mentioned it, but cranberry pills work great. Now that you’re experiencing one you might get better at recognizing them coming on, and those are really nice for prevention too. I hate cranberry juice (and all the sugar/calories) so the pills are great! AZO is seriously the best ever, except for Pyridium which is the prescription version. Sorry for TMI but wiping from front to back really does help. Like Amanda said, if it doesn’t get better go to the doctor. I also know the fear of going when you don’t have insurance but if you have to please do. Hope you feel better ASAP!

5. jennred782 says:

I have to agree with the cranberry pills, I can stand the juice. The pills are also good because cranberry juice actually has a lot of sugar in it. I hope it goes away for you soon. They are never fun.

6. Oh goodness, what a way to be welcomed into the world of sex! I’ve never had one but my cousin is prone to them. She keeps the cranberry pills on hand and says they work best. Hope you feel better soon!

7. eww! i too have never had the displeasure of it..but hey leats you get to drink alot of cranberry juice – i lurrrve it!

8. I had this same problem many times after I was married. I ditto the cranberry pills comment- they have been a LIFE-SAVER. You can get them at the health section of your super market where they sell vitamin C. I recommend Cran-Actin but there are tons of different kinds.

9. The first year we were married I got two within a month and a half of each other. Thankfully I haven’t gotten any more…peeing immediately after sex really is supposed to help flush things out and now I drink white cran-strawberry juice on a regular basis (I can’t stand drinking cranberry juice straight up! mad props to you!). Hope you feel better soon–if it gets any worse go to a doctor. The last thing you want is a kidney infection. I’ve heard those are REALLY painful.

10. I am so sorry!! I cant even tell you how many Ive had. I had 3 in 4 months. No fun. Im sorry girl!!!

11. Sounds like cranberry pills are the only way to go! Thanks for all of the great advice everyone. I feel like I am part of this secret womens club I can turn to whenever I need advice. It’s a nice feeling.

12. Ouch….I agree with another comment – go the bathroom after sex and don’t do the deed every day (a lesson from my NFP course).

It will get better.

13. Sounds like you’re enjoying yourself! Good for you!;-)

Along with Cran pills, urinating immediately after sex, & wiping front to back, cotton-crotch panties also help to prevent them. And for those of you who are prone to UTI’s, wearing thongs is just about the worst thing you can do–they transfer bacteria like crazy!

14. If you don’t like cranberry juice, you can try drinking herbs brew. For your problems best are blackcurrant leaf, peppermin leaf, camomile flower and parsley flower. Other way is sitting for 20 minutes in a basin with hot water with camomile and sage brew added.
    For sure you have some herb pills and herb “teas” (but without tea – so you can drink it) in pharmacy. Good alternative for cranberry :-).

15. Oh honey, I feel for you! They’re the bane of my existence… if it doesn’t get better, RUN and do not walk to your doc. Trust me, you don’t want to do permanent damage. After years of recurring UTIs, I finally figured out mine are linked to latex usage, so keep that in mind too, you never know. You got some great suggestions above and I’ll add one more: rather than sitting in it, hover over a basin of hot water… the steam helps. Welcome to the club! ;-)

16. Ouch. Others beat me too it, but I was going to say too: always empty your bladder asap after sex. (So I thought I’d say it anyway just in case hearing it from one more caring person helped!)

17. Oh darling. I’m sorry! But here’s my advice for you and if you’re anything like me, it will help you not get one ever again.

Pee after sex. Every time. Even if the last thing you want to do is get out of bed. It will make an amazing difference, I promise you.

18. budgetsavvybride says:

Oh you poor thing. UTI’s are no fun! I second the advice of all these wise ladies before me- the pills and the peeing- both good pieces of advice! Glad you’re enjoying the benefits of married life!

19. I’m just reading your personal blog and saw this! I feel like I should have warned you, most doctors call this the “honeymoon disease”!!! I had never had one until Mr. T and I started having sex. The first year I had one almost every 3 weeks. I tried everything, peeing after sex, peeing before and after sex, showering after sex, drinking twelve glasses of water a day… no matter what, I still get them. It’s so bad that I won’t leave on a trip or even to stay the night somewhere without the pills that make my pee look like a liquid sunset. The first few were just annoying, but now when I get them (and they come out of nowhere) I have the worst pain ever immediately, I can’t even sit down until I take those red pills and they kick in. :(
    I got so tired of having one big constant UTI that I won’t have sex unless I already feel like I have to pee, and we have sex less than half as much as we used to because I’m so scared of getting another one! Make sure you drink lots of water and pee as much as you can! :)

20. oh yes, I forgot to mention- in the beginning it was the spermicide on the condoms causing it!

21. Skywalker-Not every day? Pssssshhhhhaaw

miss purple and taffy-It sounds like condoms may be something we need to watch out for……. Thanks for gettin’ personal on the internets for me.

Never again will I go without peeing after sex. Never again.

22. Great advice from Molly. It’s the only way to prevent them. You can also pee before. :)

23. Rebekah-Doesn’t everyone pee right before?

1 Trackbacks/Pingbacks