03 Jan

101 in 1001

Posted by Jenna, Under Goals

I finally finished typing up my 101 in 1001 list, something that’s taken me several months to refine. I’ll be posting sporadically about goals I’ve finished (probably those I take pictures of). My list will always be accessible at the top of That Wife, as one of my pages. Look up right now and you’ll see it there!

View my 101 in 1001 list here.

I’m starting this with Emily, and you can join us if you’d like! Don’t worry about being a few days behind, we’d love to have you chugging along with us. I had a hard time compiling mine until Emily posted some inspiration lists from an assortment of bloggers she knows. There is also a website for the Day Zero Project, though it’s currently down. Try searching for 101 in 1001 and looking at different lists around the web to help inspire the creation of yours!

1. I didn’t even know fresh flower CSA’s existed! Now I must find one to join.

Sophia taught me about them!

Sophia Reply:

You’re going to *love* it!!

Marissa C Reply:

OOO! Does Dallas have one?

I don’t know, check http://www.localharvest.org/?

2. I have had an unfinished 101 list sitting on my computer for quite some time now. I think I’m going to work on finishing it this week!

3. Ooo yay! I started writing up mine. and should post in a few days (even if it officially starts the 1st! )

Cécy Reply:

You can start at a later date :)

4. Before you tweeted about 101 in 1001, I’d never heard of it, but after reading some other people’s lists, I felt inspired to make my own. I really like that these goals aren’t to be completed in 1 year. 1001 days seems more doable.

I finished and posted my list last night if you want to read mine!

5. P.S. Have you heard of or read Stiff: The Curious Lives of Human Cadavers by Mary Roach? Your goal to “Figure out where I want my body donated when I die” reminded me of that book. I read it last year and found it to be fascinating.

It’s only my favorite book, ever. :)

6. It’s a pretty neat list. I like how you balance things in eat: professional, personnal, health, spirituality, giving back.
    I can understand that it would take some time to put it together.
    It sounds interesting but I’m not sure I have the motivation to take the time to put the list together. I may try, who knows.
    In any case I do like the idea of publishing it because in many way it hold you accountable for it.

7. I love your list! There are so many things I can identify with.

ps If you need herb suggestions, basil-cilantro-rosemary are my favorites! Easy to grow, easy to cook with!

MrsW Reply:

Ditto on the herb recommendations — check out stores right now for a rosemary “Christmas tree” on clearance. I got one last year and sadly killed it through major neglect, but I think if you have a window that’s always open or that you remember to open to give it sun it should be fine.

8. I love your list & the way you’ve organized it!

9. I’m going to go ahead and say I’ll be rooting for you in the scanning project- mine took me over 6 weeks, even with scanning over 20 to 30 hours a week! I thought I’d done about 2,000 photos, but when I went back and counted it was over FIVE. THOUSAND. In the end though it’s so worth it to have all those memories preserved digitally, and backed up on an external HD. Plus then it will be easier for you to share cute childhood photos on your blog :)

I *really* like how everything is organized into categories, because my mind works that way too, and that’s how I organized my 2011 goals. Good luck to you in all of your 101 in 1001 projects. This will be fun to follow along with.

I admit… I’m going to send them off. I just can’t see myself ever making the time to do it myself! Also I hate scanning in photos :)

Sophia Reply:

That’s probably the way to go :) I just didn’t want to send mine off because I had so many I was terrified of the cost, plus I had pics going back to when my Great Granny was an infant, and I wanted to save them and sort them very specifically and make the file names really detailed. I do twitch a little now whenever I hear the scanner whir, haha.

Cristin Reply:

The scanning is a real endeavor – I’ve been working on a project for my Mom with old family photos, and its rewarding to know that we’re preserving the pictures. It makes it easier when we debate about who gets the “real” copy of the photo. But gosh – very time consuming!

Sophia Reply:

Yes it is!It is mindless mind numbing work. And there is just enough of a pause between scanning to leave you twiddling your thumbs, but not long enough of a pause to be able to do much other than alt tab between internet windows :)

10. re: donating your body. My husband, who previously was unfazed about whatever happened to his body after he died, said after med school Anatomy, he didn’t think he could donate his body to science :) (though he sure appreciated those that did!)

I found that funny…and a little disturbing. As he put it, “I learned how to take out organs, but they sure wouldn’t work again if I put them back in”

I don’t think I’ll donate to a lab. The book Stiff talks about all sorts of ways that bodies are used! I’d kind of like to be a crash test dummy. Or maybe one of those bodies that they use to advance the science of forensics, by burying them and digging them up a few years later. I love the idea of my body doing so much good after I’m gone!

11. love this! I noticed one goal that made me curious: “visit my brother’s grave”

care to explain?

My brother died at birth. He’s buried near my parent’s home and I haven’t been to visit for a few years. I just like taking the time to remember him!

12. Mrs. Pumpkin says:

Love, love, love this! I’ve been trying to find a way to push myself lately and I think this is it! I never stick to New Year’s resolutions but I think I would stick to this. One thing that might be on my list that you might also be interested in is to only buy second hand goods for one year. A family in my home town did this last year and I find it fascinating and scary at the same time. But I think you could really learn some things about yourself through that process. Anyhow, I’m rambling… time to go start my list!

Oh! And, I’m not pregnant at the moment but you could totally shoot my next babies birth! So long as you wouldn’t mind coming up to Saskatchewan! :)

If I can get there between the time labor starts and when the baby comes out.. it’s a deal :) Ha!

13. I love this idea so much! I made my list and item #1 was to finally begin blogging – I’m using this list as a beginning point and hope to incorporate writing on my new blog into my daily (ok, probably weekly) routine :) Thanks Jenna!

14. Very good list. I enjoyed seeing a preview to some future posts. :)

15. Great list. I have actually done the boat tour in Chicago and while that is not normally my thing it was very, very fun and cool. I really love Chicago…in the summer.

16. I LOVE your list – and that fact that you’re doing 101 in 1001. I started mine a little over a year ago and am having so much fun with it. It’s a great way to stay motivated and I *love* crossing things off that list!

Feel free to follow my progress…or just check out my list ; ) (here http://thealthausens.blogspot.com/2009/11/my-101-in-1001.html)

17. I love this Jenna! I’m definitely going to put together my
    list very soon! What a great motivator to get things done!

18. Hi Jenna! I’ve been reading your blog for a long time…
    found you on weddingbee when I was planning my wedding at the same
    time you were. Your post a couple of days ago inspired me to make
    my own 101 list. One of my goals is to stop lurking on the blogs I
    read regularly and comment at least once a week. You’re my first
    comment! :) Thanks for sharing so openly about your life. I’m not
    sure I could write as honestly as you do!

19. Have you been to the Art Institute yet? It’s one of my absolute favorite places in the whole city, and Thursday nights are free admission – I think it’s from 5-8 or something. Beyond that they have really reasonable student rates. R bought a year’s membership for $40, and can bring one guest free every time.

Turtle Reply:

Art institute is actually free on weekdays– including late nights on thurs and fri– for the whole month of January! It’s awesome!

20. I just launched my new blog today and hope to post my 101 in 1001 within the week. It’ll be nice to have company on the journey!

21. So I was bored at work yesterday and therefore I now have a 101 list. I think I’ll officially start mine on 01.11.11 Just for the fun of the date :)

22. I JUST posted my 101 in 1001 list on my own blog yesterday. So excited to embark on this challenge, and to follow along with your’s!

23. I love your list! And like Meg it made me look forward to the many posts that will no doubt come from it.

24. Your list of 101 goals is a fantastic one! Some items may be tougher than others, but you can totally do this! I am looking forward to reports on how you complete your goals. I really like the time length too, as some things just take longer than we hope.

I scanned slides from my childhood a while ago, and it was so worth it (especially since I had far fewer pictures).

25. You might find it really gratifying to spend one entire day once a week completely focused on your child (he still naps a lot :}) One of my most intense and beautiful memories involves my daughter who is now 21. She was about the same age as your T! at the time. Her sister was a little over 3 and at the daycare. I was in grad school and working on my thesis at the same time. DH had finished residency and working at his practice and moonlighting at the ER. Life was just busy all the time and there was always something I needed to/planned to do/wanted to do. We had bought a house that needed A LOT of work done. One day we had arranged to have someone come to steam off the triple layers of wall paper in the downstairs foyer and dining room. I needed to keep the little one upstairs the whole day and away from the fumes. At first I felt kind of trapped…I mean, here we were…stuck in our little 11×12 bedroom for the whole day! But it was magical. I still have several of the little block books that we read and just looking at them all these years later still makes me smile and smile. The computer and the photography will always be there for you….

26. I made a list, and then have sort of forgotten to check it often enough to have made very much progress. You can check mine out at http://www.katieandjoshy.blogspot.com. It’s just down the side of my blog. I bold the ones I’ve finished, and color/italicize the ones I’m currently working on (started already at least). I think my time is up in the next couple of months, so I better get crackin’!

Katie H. Reply:

Oh, and I put $2 in a vacation account for every item I complete.

27. http://missmagicallgrownup.blogspot.com/2010/08/on-101-in-1001-bandwagon.html

Here is mine, I started in about August but am pretty proud of the progress I’ve made since. I had just moved to a new town and had about three weeks of being in a new place and not knowing anyone before my job start. I had a lot of free time to get started before I started teaching in September. When 2011 started, I thought it was a good time to do an assessment of what I’d gotten done and I had completed 15, and 14 more are in progress.

Good luck and I love your blog — first saw you on the Bee and it’s great that your story doesn’t end there as some Bees’ do!

28. Okay…I’m doing that whole catching up on commenting thing again…sorry! But I LOVE this idea!! It makes me nervous to think of posting it in a public forum (for myself) though, because I would hate having people check up on me! You amaze me! :)

1 Trackbacks/Pingbacks