18 Jun

TWLC3 Week 10

Posted by Jenna, Under weight

Good morning! I’m typing this from my new apartment (I think you’d call it a MIL apartment attached to a house where 5 other girls live) after a 2 mile run this morning. It’s a good thing that I have a few more weeks before my half marathon because I am definitely going to need to spend some time training in this new elevation with all of these hills (although I purposely chose a course that is mostly downhill so it shouldn’t be too bad).

I left Chicago last Tuesday morning, spent a few days in Washington, drove to Montana to see a friend on Saturday, and then finished up my drive yesterday, ending up in Provo. Classes start in 2 hours and I desperately need to make a trip to Wal-mart because last night I slept on my bath towels with my kitchen apron acting as a pillowcase (I’m really glad I brought a pillow!) and a fleece blanket from my car as my cover (thought I didn’t need it much because this room is much too hot for my sleeping preferences).

During that time I ate horribly, and I am really feeling the effects of all of the refined carbs and sugars I ate, especially on the drive down. All of that’s in the past though, because I’m starting Whole 30 today! My fridge and cupboards are stocked with exclusively Whole30 approved products, and once I’m done typing this I’m going to go borrow a pot from my new roommates so I can hard boil some eggs for my lunch. I know I’m going to be missing some things a week from now, but early this week will be a celebration as I flush all of my previous poor choices out of my system.

Time to shower and assemble my lunch and make my way up to campus for my first day of class. I’d love to hear how things are going for you!

1. I’m starting whole30 on July 1st and was kind of freaking out because I’m starting my 1/2 training a week before. I’m worried about how to correctly fuel during training so I’m curious to learn from your first couple of weeks if you notice the need for more carbs (sweet potatoes) for your runs or if your body just adjusts. I’m also curious what you plan to eat during your long runs for fuel and if you’re doing any electrolytes or something similar (coconut water) for hydration. It’s all overwhelming for me. I’m going to try and just not freak too much and just listen to my body and try to adjust where I see fit.

Hi Erin!

I’m going to talk to my trainer/friend tomorrow morning. She just ran a marathon while eating Paleo so I’m going to listen to what she did. I’ll try to remember to post about it!

2. It sounds like you are well prepared! How nice to have the kitchen all to yourself right now – that will hopefully help you a lot. One of my biggest challenges was finding snacks that were portable. I am on Day 25 right now and very much looking forward to the end. I don’t miss the sugar but I do miss the dairy. I can’t wait to have my energy level back to normal so I can start working out like I used to again.

3. phruphru says:

Best of luck with the new place, classes and the new diet. What week are you on for training for the half? Just curious because I don’t want to scare you but in the final few weeks leading up to my first half, my shortest runs were 5 miles. On some days, my plan called for 2/3 miles or cross training (I chose cross training to avoid burnout) so maybe your 2-mile run was one of those runs. If that’s the case, then you should be OK, but otherwise make sure you get your miles in (sensibly, of course). Good luck!

Last week was a string of 3 mile runs, and this week I do 2, 4, 2, then 8. Next week I think it’s 2, 4, 2, then 10. And then the next week is the race! I appreciate the change in mileage so I can used to get the change in elevation.

phruphru Reply:

Great! Good luck!! You’re going to feel so accomplished when you cross the finish line. Well, if you’re anything like me, you’ll be in a little (lot) of pain, too :)

4. Crystal says:

How are you dealing with leaving T1? I’m just going to assume the reason you’ve talked about everything, but leaving him is b/c it was so hard.

5. This is so gross but I think Whole30 gave me hemorrhoids? So now I’m having a lot of trouble working out because, OUCH. This sucks.

Puh-lease stop this nonsense! Obviously this diet isn’t good for you.

Andrea Reply:

HA! I stopped on day 11. What up.

6. I am on day 4 of whole 30 and feeling amazing with lots of energy. Best of luck!