This Fall, I want to hit my goal weight. Won’t you join me in That Weight Loss Challenge 3? In two years I’ve gone from what you see on the left, to what you see on the right.
What I’m shooting for is a little bit closer to this. (Albeit a decade older with several more stretch marks, of course.)
1. Join the TWLC Facebook group.
2. Group chat on the TWLC Facebook group 9pm CST each Tuesday, beginning April 17th.
3. Use the hashtag #TWLC3 on Twitter.
4. Each Monday, a new post on That Wife talking about TWLC3 in some way. I’ll talk about progress I’m making (or not making), new techniques I’m trying, vent my frustrations, etc. Feel free to use this as a chance to check in and let the rest of us know how it’s going for you! I’ve found that the more engaged I am in something, the more likely I am to be successful.
5. The Google Doc. It’s a place to fill in your measurements, tell your story, link to your blog, and watch your competition progress throughout the challenge. If you’d like to have access to the Google Doc see below under “How To Enter”.
6. Guest posts from past and current TWLC participants, sharing what has worked for them.
7. The Pledge. Details below!
That Weight Loss Challenge 3
From April 16th to October 16th 2012
$25 to compete for the cash prize. Depending on the number of entries this has the potential to be a very large sum!
This round I’m doing a few different prizes. You can enter TWLC3 for free, or you can pay an entry fee for a cash prize at the end. You do not have to pay the $25 in order to compete for the session with Jenna Cole.
1. A portrait session with Jenna Cole Photography (individual, with romantic partner, or immediate family). Available wherever I am. This means it could take place in Washington or the San Francisco area, as both are places I will be at during some point after the challenge ends.
2. A cash prize. 75% of the pot goes to the winner of those who paid the entry fee, 25% goes to the 1st runner-up who also contributed.
3. Monthly drawings held at the beginning of each month . If you enter your percentage lost in the Google Doc every Monday of the preceding month, I’ll enter your name in a random drawing to win a little prize (like an Amazon gift card!). You must fill in your percentage lost by the time I check the sheet on Tuesday (the time of this will vary), as I’ll be keeping track of those who don’t fill it in on a weekly basis. This should help function as a check-in for those who wanted one.
How To Enter
Copy and paste 1 or more the following sentences in the comment section below indicating which specific aspects of the challenge you would like to sign up for. PLEASE COPY THESE SENTENCES EXACTLY AS YOU SEE THEM BELOW. Details on how to send your $25 will follow in an email from me.
I would like to compete in TWLC3 to lose the highest percentage of weight to win a portrait session with Jenna Cole. I will email you exactly as described below.
I would like to be added to the TWLC3 Google Doc list where I will log in regularly to enter in my progress.
I would like to pay $25 and compete for a cash prize.
1. Start drafting an email with the subject line “TWLC3 Before Picture – Insert Your Name Here”. THIS IS CRUCIAL! YOU WILL NOT BE ENTERED UNLESS YOU DO THIS EXACTLY AS DETAILED.
2. Email me a before picture of you from head to toe (or neck to toe if you prefer). I need a picture of your front, back, and sides if possible. I suggest *not* wearing black, wear light colors and tight fitting clothes so you can see a difference!
3. Email me a before picture of the scale if you’re competing for either the cash prize, the portrait session, or both.
4. Pictures must be received before April 16th. Get them in right now!
Emails should be sent to thatwife [at] gmail dot com.
What is The Pledge?
I don’t want to make this too complicated, but I wanted to add another layer to the competition this time around to see if it will help us reach our goals. Each member of The Pledge will pledge a certain amount of money per pound, pay me up front, and I will pay them back as they lose! If you don’t meet your goal, the all of the leftover money gets pooled together and those who succesfully met their pledge will go into a random drawing and have the opportunity to win all of the leftovers! I love this one, because it means I have a shot of winning some cash, even if I don’t lose the highest percentage of weight. Someone asked about inches, dress sizes, I don’t see any reason why The Pledge can’t be customized to fit your specific goals. All of this is “on your honor” anyway.
To give you an example of the pledge, for me it’s going to work like this: I, Jenna, pledge $200 toward my weight loss goal of 20 lbs. For each pound that I lose, I get $10 back. If I meet my goal, but others don’t, all of their leftover money will be pooled together and my name will be entered into a random drawing to win a pile of cash along with anyone else who met their goal. There will be one winner from this drawing.
How to join The Pledge
1. Compose an email with the subject line “TWLC3 The Pledge – Insert Your Name Here“. THIS IS CRUCIAL! YOU WILL NOT BE ENTERED UNLESS YOU DO THIS EXACTLY AS DETAILED.
2. In the body of the email state your name, the total amount you are pledging, and the amount you would like me to pay you back for each pound/inch/dress size that you lose.
3. Pledge emails must be received by April 25th. No exceptions.
3. Sometime after April 25th, after I have received all of the pledges, I will send you an email detailing how you can send me your money via Paypal.
All payments for pounds lost will be made AFTER the end of TWLC3, sometime in late October.
Emails should be sent to thatwife [at] gmail dot com.
One Last Thing
I think The Pledge could really work. As long as it is painful (choose a large sum that you would really miss if you didn’t earn it back) and don’t tell yourself that you can fudge a little and get it all back from me even if you don’t meet your goal. This Radiolab episode does an excellent job explaining why you won’t succeed if you set yourself up with those expectations. Make it painful, and you’ll overcome your own worst enemy (you).
I’ll add to this as I see questions pop up in the comments below.
Do I need to send you a picture to participate in TWLC2?
Only to compete for the prizes. You are free to be part of the Google Doc and bi-monthly chat without sending in a picture. Just copy and paste in the comment section as I instructed above.
How will I know that I’m signed up officially?
I will write a reply to every picture submission email to let you know I received it.
Will you post my picture on the blog?
Only with your consent. NO PICTURES WILL EVER BE SHOWN WITHOUT YOUR PERMISSION. I am happy to crop photos, blur out faces, and would never use your name along with your photo unless you let me know it was okay to do so.
Do you have to sign up for The Pledge to be included in TWLC3?
No. There are several different ways you can participate in TWLC3.
1.You can participate by utilizing the resources noted above.
2. You can compete, for free, to win a session with Jenna Cole.
3. You can pay $25 and compete for a cash prize.
4. You can take The Pledge and determine your own reward at the end of TWLC3.
Or you can do any combination of 1-4. It’s up to you!
How regularly do I have to check in on the Google doc? Every week? Once a month?
If you want to be eligible for the monthly drawing, you have to check in once a week. Otherwise you have no obligation to do so.
Do we have to participate in the chat?
No, it’s just a resource.
I have high hopes for this round of That Weight Loss Challenge! I’ve tried really hard to come up with ways for all of us to stay motivated without overwhelming myself during a very busy summer. If it takes me some time to get to your emails, please be patient! I’m very much looking forward to seeing where we are all at toward the end of the year.